It’s that time again. Start of a new semester and for some of you it will be moving to create a new life at University.
Being a uni student myself and being in my final year towards my Media degree, I thought I’d make a post that would be perfectly suitable advice for you freshers out there who are wondering what’s the basic essentials you need to take to your new home.
My first piece of advice to you is please don’t panic and take 101 things that you don’t necessarily need. Most universities tend to be just round the corner from lots of shops and high streets and if not you can virtually order anything to your doorstep so no need to worry.
It might be easier to buy things there to make a lighter journey for yourself and just take the vital ingredients that you can’t live without. Another thing to stress about is you are probably moving into a much smaller room than your bedroom at home so make sure to be prepared for this.
Before we move on to other parts of my list, I thought it was crucial to throw important documents into the guide first:
– Accommodation terms/contract (literally so important!)
– Passport/Driver’s licence and passport photos
– Debit card and bank details
– Student loan documents
– National Insurance number, exam certificates
– Student discount cards e.g: 16-25 rail card
Now you might be having flat parties and what not so speakers might be a big one for the list, however your flat mates will probably already have this so caring is sharing right?
– Laptop or computer (library if needed)
– Ethernet cable
– Headphones: it can get a bit noisy in Halls believe me
– USB Stick
– Extension Cable
I think this is an obvious one, everything from pens to notebooks, diaries, books to calculators even a dictaphone you name it.
The most requested thing from a student is knowing what to take for the kitchen… Be very careful what to take as items can and will probably go unused so some of it will be pretty useless so don’t take or purchase anything too expensive.
– A students guide to cooking is literally one of the best things you can purchase for the kitchen, learn how to make affordable hearty meals.
– A wok
– One saucepan
– 1 sharp knife along with a cutlery set
– One plate and bowl
– Two mugs and two glasses
– Flat baking tray
– Lunch box
– A collinder
– A baking dish
So throughout my two year journey at Sheffield Hallam I’ve been in Student Halls, and one big must have is to purchase the comfiest bedding and pillows. You will be spending a hella’ lot of time in your room believe me, so make sure it’s the best.
– A mattress protector is seriously so vital to have, you don’t know who’s been in that bed before you
– To make it that more homely bring posters and photos of friends and family, why not hang them up with some fairy lights and give your room a pretty uplift.
– Bed sheets, duvet and pillows
– Coat hangers
– Laundry bag
– Ear plugs
Make sure you have all your home comforts with you and I know for sure mine are definitely for the bathroom after a hard day at work or that long, cold walk home…
– Bleach and cleaning products
– First aid kit
– Toilet roll
– Wash bag: shampoo/conditioner, toothbrush/toothpaste, shower gel and make up essentials
So this is my guide to you for those that are planning to live at University, I hope you like it and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to drop a comment below, I’d be more than happy to help. Click on the photos for Pinterest tips!